Even high quality, professionally installed windows have a set lifespan. The windows on your home can last around 10 years, maybe a bit longer if they are well maintained. However, if your windows are approaching the decade mark, or you notice any of the issues below, it is time to call a window replacement professional.
Signs It Is Time for New Windows
While age is an important factor when considering whether to replace your windows, it isn’t the only sign. The following issues could also point you towards a replacement.
- Unusually high energy bills: If you have noticed that your energy bills are higher than average, your windows could be to blame. Older windows with a single pane of glass don't do much to block incoming light, heat, or cold.
- Drafty rooms: Windows tend to become drafty as they age. But even newer windows can have broken seals or air leaks that cause uncomfortable drafts and higher than normal energy bills, even when nothing appears to be wrong.
- Rotting or moldy frames: Mold can be a serious health risk, and older wooden frames are prone to rot after years of enduring humid weather.
- Difficult to open or close: This issue could be caused by several elements such as the frame deteriorating, the foundation shifting, or even the windows having been painted shut.
- Condensation: Single-pane windows don't do as good of a job keeping humidity consistent, which causes condensation. Double-pane windows can also have condensation between the panes, which is a sign that the seal is broken and they are no longer efficient.
Benefits of Window Replacement
Replacing your windows is an investment. However, if you purchase high-quality windows and they are installed by a professional, you will see benefits for many years.
- Improved energy efficiency: Consider installing Energy Star rated windows, which can lower energy bills and your carbon footprint by an average of 12 percent. A variety of frames, glazes, and glass fills can also make a difference in your energy efficiency.
- More comfortable home: New windows have a better seal that keeps drafts out. They even stop condensation by keeping the humidity in your home at a suitable level during cold months.
- Better security: As frames deteriorate and the foundation shifts, locks can malfunction. New windows have advanced latching systems that work to keep your home secure.
- Increased curb appeal: With many different designs to choose from, replacement windows can add unique character and value to your home.
- Lower maintenance: Old painted windows need regular maintenance to stay mold-free. New materials such as vinyl do not require this extra work to remain in good shape.
Window replacement isn't just an aesthetic choice. New windows preserve and even increase the value of your home. According to Remodeling Magazine's Cost vs. Value analysis, you could recoup over 70% of the project cost in home value! So, if you have noticed any signs that it's time to replace your windows, give Brothers Services a call. We will schedule a free consultation with one of our window replacement professionals, who will inspect your windows and provide guidance on the best solution for your home.