Even high quality, professionally installed siding has a lifespan. Depending on the siding materials, your siding can last anywhere from 20 to 50 years if it is well maintained. However, if your siding is reaching the end of its lifespan or you notice any of the issues below, then it is time to call a siding replacement specialist.
Signs It's Time for New Siding
- Discoloration on Finish -Discoloration and fading on vinyl siding can be a sign of excessive UV exposure. This exposure makes vinyl brittle with a high risk of cracking or breaking. While wood siding can be repainted or stained more easily, fading still shows the age of the siding.
- Increased Energy Bills -If you have noticed that your energy bills are much higher than usual or you feel drafts or hot spots in your home, your siding may have lost its insulating qualities.
- Plant, Moss, or Mold Growth -Mold and moss aren't just aesthetic problems. If you notice plant growth on your siding, then it is an indication that your siding is holding a lot of moisture.
- Water Damage - If your siding has aged to the point that it is no longer a barrier to the outside elements, it could be allowing rainwater to seep into your home. This water damage weakens your home's structure and can damage drywall on the inside of your home.
- Bubbling or Warping - Bubbling and extreme warping are signs that moisture has gotten trapped underneath the siding, or your vinyl siding has been exposed to extreme heat. Either way, it is no longer creating a sealed barrier and needs to be replaced.
- Insect Damage - Wildlife damage from woodpeckers, squirrels, and insects breaks the barrier your siding creates. While all siding can fall victim to insects, wood siding is particularly vulnerable to termites.
Benefits of Siding Replacement
- Improved Energy Efficiency - New siding can reduce energy costs and increase energy efficiency, especially if the old siding was cracked and letting the elements in. Plus, if you choose to install foam-backed siding, you will have even better insulation on your home.
- Repair Structural Damage - Sometimes, homes sustain structural damage when the old siding allows rainwater or humidity past the barrier. A full-service remodeler will check for and repair any structural damage that has been hidden by your old siding.
- Lower Maintenance - Modern vinyl and fiber cement siding are easy to keep looking like new by simply washing with a soft bristle brush and mild soap. These siding materials never need to be repainted and are resistant to the elements and insects.
- Increased Curb Appeal - With a range of colors and shapes in cutting edge vinyl and fiber cement siding, you can create modern or classic accents. Choose from unique designs like board and batten, or scallop shell detailing.
- Increased Value - New vinyl siding can recoup up to 74.7% of the cost in home value, while fiber cement siding can recoup up to 77.6% according to Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost vs. Value report.
If you have noticed any of the signs that it's time to replace some or all of your siding, give Brothers Services a call. We will schedule a free consultation with one of our siding experts, who can provide guidance on the best solution for your home.